Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Taking off the old...

I read the book of Colossians last night. The 3rd chapter was speaking to me loud and clear. So much so, that when I awoke this morning I read that chapter again. The thought that I need to seek those things which are above is what most captured my heart. It is in that truth that I see much of my own error. Though I have been raised with Christ, I seem to continually and always seek those things which are earthly. Just like in salvation there are two camps in which people live (saved vs. unsaved), there are only two camps for anything we encounter during life (earthly vs Godly). Sadly, most of my choices are for the earthly. Sure, Sunday mornings are devoted to the Godly. Many of my quiet times during the week would be considered Godly. But what about my thought patterns and decisions during the remainder of the week. Earthly for sure. I know that in my heart there are times when I am even performing a Godly task but my mind is thinking about earthly things. My thoughts race from financial concerns, future plans, Warcraft, and the like all day long. Why, I ask myself, do my thoughts race to and fro as they do when I have been raised with Christ and my life is hidden with Him? I suppose part of that answer is that I love those things. I am not supposed to, but I must if I allow my mind to devote so much time to them. What I desire, however, is that my mind would be renewed in Christ ala Romans 12. I need to put to death all those things which are earthly in me. Even the thought of that hurts. It sounds wonderful and I know for sure that the fruit thereof is wonderful, but actually putting to death EVERYTHING in my life which is not Godly is going to be a difficult task. Difficult...heck...it is impossible to be completely sanctified this side of Heaven, but it is something I must strive for. I need to start being very intentional in discerning "earthly" vs "Godly". When I deem something as earthly, I need to put it to death. Lord, I cannot do this without your help. So, I ask you send your Spirit afresh in my life for discerning truth from error. Let my thoughts and actions conform to your will. This I pray. I pray this is not something that last only a day. There is patience and endurance for your saints. I need it today. I need it tomorrow.

No comments: